The Agriculture and Rural Development Award 2017
The Agriculture and Rural Development Award recognises excellence of an MEP working within the agricultural and rural development policy area, including the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP); animal health and welfare; plant health; agricultural products quality; forestry and agroforestry. It commends an individual who has demonstrated considerable skill in advancing policy and dialogue towards elevating and resolving agricultural issues. Nominations in this category should make reference to one of the following criteria:
• A considerable contribution in improving the operation and development of the common agricultural policy through effective oversight.
• A demonstrated commitment to promoting rural development, including the activities of the relevant financial instruments.
• Substantial involvement in legislation advancing matters related to veterinary and plant-health, animal husbandry and welfare; and food security.
The Culture, Education and Sport Award 2017
The Culture, Education and Sport Award recognises excellence in the work of an MEP in the dissemination of culture, the advancement of education and youth policies, and promoting sport across the Union. It commends an MEP for their commitment to promote and uphold the cultural aspects of the European Union. Nominations in this category should make reference to one of the following criteria:
• A demonstrated commitment to improve the knowledge and dissemination of culture, including the protection and promotion of cultural and linguistic diversity, and a commitment to safeguarding cultural heritage.
• Substantial evidence of advancing youth and education best practices and recommendations across the EU and a clear commitment to the development of a sports and leisure policy across the Union.
• The promotion of audio-visual policy and the cultural and educational aspects of the information society.
The Development Award 2017
The Development award recognises an MEP that has consistently worked towards the promotion, implementation and monitoring of the development and cooperation policy of the Union. In particular, this award commends an MEP who has made a substantial contribution in fostering political dialogue with developing countries, both bilaterally and through international organisational channels. Nominations in this category should make reference to one of the following criteria:
• A considerable contribution in advancing aid to, and cooperation agreements with, developing countries, with an emphasis on oversight of effective aid funding and evaluating aid effectiveness.
• Ensuring the implementation, monitoring and advancement of policy coherence with regard to development policy.
• Consistently promoting democratic values, good governance and human rights in developing countries.
• Substantial input into legislation, programming, and scrutiny of actions carried out under the Development Cooperation Instrument (DCI), the European Development Fund (EDF), and the Humanitarian Aid Instrument.
The Digital Single Market Award 2017
This award recognises an MEP who has demonstrated a substantial commitment towards realising the Digital Single Market, as a core tenet of the Europe 2020 agenda, in order to foster innovation, economic growth, and economic competitiveness. It commends an individual who has worked on one or more of the 16 actions of the Strategy, trying to advance the pillars of the Digital Single Market Strategy. Nominations in this category should make reference to one of the following criteria:
• Promoting better access for consumers and businesses to online digital goods and services across Europe by breaking down barriers to cross-border online activity.
• Creating the right environment and a level playing field for digital networks and innovative services to flourish by providing high-speed, secure and trustworthy infrastructures and services supported by the right regulatory conditions.
• Maximising the potential of the digital economy and its society to drive economic growth. This includes the right of EU citizens to acquire digital skills, and promoting the free movement of data in the European Union.
The Economic and Monetary Affairs Award 2017
The Economic and Monetary Affairs Award recognises excellence in the work of an MEP in advancing and promoting investment and economic growth in the EU. It commends the efforts of an MEP in implementing Economic and Monetary Union (EMU), the regulation of financial services, the free movement of capital and payments, taxation and competition policies, and the international financial system. Nominations in this category should make reference to at least one of the following criteria:
• A demonstrated contribution to advancing and implementing the economic and monetary policies of the Union; the democratic and legitimate functioning of Economic and Monetary Union; and the European monetary and financial system. This includes the free movement of capital and payments.
• Ensuring the regulation and supervision of financial services, institutions and markets including financial reporting, auditing, accounting rules, and corporate governance.
• Contributing to legislation on banking reform, ensuring the efficient functioning of capital markets, and advancing the fight against tax evasion and tax avoidance.
The Employment and Social Affairs Award 2017
The Employment and Social Affairs Award recognises an MEP for their considerable work in promoting employment and all aspects of social policy within the EU, including working conditions, the Skills Agenda, and the free movement of workers. It commends an MEP who has worked consistently to reduce unemployment and precarious jobs, ensure workers’ rights, and improve occupational health and safety legislation, including the promotion of work-life balance. Nominations in this category should make reference to at least one of the following criteria:
• A demonstrable contribution to legislation on employment and social policy, including working conditions, social security, active inclusion and social protection.
• A commitment to protecting workers’ rights and the free movement of workers, utilising and promoting social dialogue.
• Substantial work undertaken to prevent all forms of discrimination at the workplace and in the labour market.
The Energy Award 2017
The Energy Award recognises an MEP who has demonstrated excellence in advancing the objectives of the EU’s common energy policy, namely to ensure secure, affordable and climate-friendly energy. Nominations in this category should make reference to at least one of the following criteria:
• A demonstrable input into Union measures relating to the establishment of a competitive and functioning internal energy market, which puts consumers on the heart of the system and reduces energy prices in the long term.
• A substantial commitment in promoting the EU decarbonisation goals, supporting the development of new and renewable forms of energy as well as the application of the “energy efficiency first” principle.
• Supporting solidarity among the member states in the energy area, to ensure safe and secure energy supplies that flow freely across the EU.
The Environment Award 2017
The Environment Award recognises an MEP who has demonstrated excellence in promoting environmental policy towards achieving a resource-efficient and sustainable Europe. This includes measures on air, soil and water pollution, waste management and recycling, dangerous substances and preparations, noise levels and the protection of biodiversity. Nominations in this category should make reference to at least one of the following criteria:
• A dedication to promoting a resource-efficient sustainable Europe and championing measures to prevent and manage the causes and effects of climate change.
• Evidence of work towards advancing international and regional measures and agreements aimed at protecting the environment.
• Contributing to the efforts to improve air quality, waste management and biodiversity
The Foreign Affairs Award 2017
The Foreign Affairs Award looks to recognise a MEP that has made a substantial contribution towards promoting the interests and values of the European Union through Foreign Policy, including the Common Foreign and Security Policy (CFSP), The Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP), and the European External Action Service (EEAS). This award commends a resolute dedication to the development of global norms and rules, ensuring that EU legislation is constructed in a manner that fosters international relationships and understanding. Nominations in this category should make reference to at least one of the following criteria:
• Consistently raising awareness on issues concerning democracy, the rule of law, human rights, including the rights of minorities, in third countries and the principles of international law.
• A sustained contribution towards strengthening political relations with third countries by means of comprehensive cooperation and assistance programmes, or international agreements such as association and partnership agreements. Advancing relations with other Union institutions and bodies, international organisations, and assemblies.
• Significant involvement towards opening, monitoring and concluding negotiations concerning European Enlargement, and improving relations and the progress of European Neighbourhood Policy.
The Internal Market and Consumer Protection Award 2017
The Internal Market and Consumer Protection Award recognises the work of an MEP who has demonstrated excellence in furthering the operation of the Single Market towards unlocking prosperity, innovation, and enhancing competitiveness within the Union. It commends an MEP who has worked to reduce barriers to economic trade and simplify legislation to enhance competitiveness within the Union. Nominations in this category should make reference to at least one of the following criteria:
• Legislative involvement towards the internal market and for the customs union, including on the free movement of goods; the right of establishment; and the freedom to provide services except in the financial and postal sectors.
• Considerable work on advocating for measures aimed at the identification and removal of potential obstacles to the implementation of the Single Market.
• A proven commitment to the promotion and protection of the economic interests of consumers, except for public health and food safety issues and substantial evidence of policy and legislation regarding the enforcement of Single Market rules and consumer rights.
The International Trade Award 2017
The International Trade Award recognises excellence in the work of an MEP towards establishing, defining, and implementing EU trade policy. It commends an MEP who has worked to advance and monitor the Union’s common commercial policy and its’ economic and trade relations with third countries and regional organisations. Nominations in this category should make reference to at least one of the following criteria:
• Evidence of substantial involvement in opening, monitoring, conclusion and follow-up of bilateral, multilateral and plurilateral trade agreements governing economic, trade and investment relations.
• A sustained contribution towards progressing the Common Customs Tariff and trade facilitation, in addition to the external aspects of customs provisions and management.
• A commitment to advancing relations with the relevant international organisations and international fora on trade-related matters, and with organisations promoting regional economic and commercial integration outside the union, including the WTO.
The Justice and Civil Liberties Award 2017
The Justice and Civil Liberties award recognises an MEP that has made a substantial commitment in promoting and defending Justice and Civil Liberties within the EU, protecting human rights and developing European solutions to the challenges of migration and terrorism. Nominations in this category should make reference to at least one of the following criteria:
• Supporting measures to combat all forms of discrimination, other than those based on sex or occurring at the workplace and in the labour market.
• Promoting legislation in the areas of transparency or the protection of personal data.
• Noteworthy efforts in developing a European response to the challenges of migration, including measures in the fields of, asylum, labour migration and management of the external borders.
• A substantial commitment towards the establishment and development of an area of freedom, security and justice in tackling crime and terrorism, while respecting the principles of subsidiarity and proportionality.
The New Technologies Award 2017
The ICT Award recognises an MEP who has proved excellence in encouraging the development and application of new technologies so as to advance EU innovation, industry and competitiveness. It commends someone who believes in the importance of developing e-skills in order for the EU to become an e-inclusive society. Nominations in this category should make reference to at least one of the following criteria:
• A dedicated approach towards digitising industry and society by stressing the importance of deploying good telecom infrastructures across the EU, including in rural areas.
• A commitment towards supporting and promoting high tech developments such as quantum technologies and high performance computing.
• Encouraging the development of e-skills in education and training.
The Public Health Award 2017
The Public Health Award recognises excellence in promoting and implementing solutions to public health issues within the Union. It commends an MEP who has actively worked to improve food safety issues; to better regulate consumer labelling; and to regulate product placement on the market. Nominations in this category should make reference to at least one of the following criteria:
• Ensuring the implementation of programmes and specific actions in the field of public health.
• A commitment to the effective regulation of pharmaceutical and cosmetic products.
• Improving Union preparedness on the health aspects of bioterrorism.
The Regional Development Award 2017
The Regional Development Award recognises excellence in the work of an MEP in promoting regional development and advancing cohesion policy within the Union, including an urban dimension. It commends an MEP for their commitment towards re-invigorating the European economy, utilising cohesion policy towards creating employment and growth, and ensuring the competitiveness of the Union. Nominations in this category should make reference to at least one of the following criteria:
• A demonstrable involvement in shaping legislation on the European Regional Development Fund, the Cohesion Fund and the other instruments of the Union’s regional policy.
• A substantial commitment to developing the urban dimension of the cohesion policy, recognising cities as a vehicle for economic growth.
• Championing the outermost regions of the Union, as well as trans-frontier and interregional cooperation, and ensuring and assessing the impact of Union policies on economic and social cohesion.
The Research & Innovation Award
The Research & Innovation award recognises an MEP who has demonstrated excellence in championing the Union’s research and innovation policy, including science and technology as well as the dissemination and exploitation of research findings. In particular, it commends a dedication towards advancing Research & Development in implementing the Innovation Union. Nominations in this category should make reference to one the following criteria:
• Consistently advancing the Horizon 2020 agenda, by adapting and mobilizing the EU’s R&D and education programs to effectively promote both the economic and intellectual growth in Europe.
• Effective oversight of the activities of the Joint Research Centre, the European Research Council, the European Institute of Innovation and Technology and the Institute for Reference Materials and Measurements, as well as JET, ITER and other projects in the same area.
• Championing European space policy.
The Transport Award 2017
The Transport and Tourism Award recognises an MEP for their dedication and commitment in championing mobility in the EU, by advancing an effective and reliable infrastructure. It commends excellence of an MEP who has elevated climate concerns whilst advancing an effective and reliable infrastructure across borders, ensuring fair rules for the whole transport sector, the highest standards of safety and binding rights for people travelling in Europe. Nominations in this category should make reference to one of the following criteria:
• A substantial commitment to developing a common policy for rail, road, inland waterway, maritime and air transport, including common rules applicable to transport within the EU.
• Evidence of establishing and developing smart and green trans-European transport and infrastructure networks.
• A consistent and sustainable approach to promoting Tourism within the Union, by contributing to the creation of a stable business environment for the competitive development of the sector, along with efforts to upgrade skills, invest in human capital and tackle unemployment and the better use of ESIF funds to boost growth and support for SMEs.
The Women’s Rights and Gender Equality Award 2017
The Women’s Rights and Gender Equality Award looks to recognise an MEP who has made a substantial contribution in advocating and securing the rights of women, both within the Union and in third countries. Nominations in this category should make reference to one of the following criteria:
• Consistently working to advance equal opportunities policy, including the promotion of equality between men and women with regard to labour market opportunities and treatment at work, as well as the promotion of work-life balance.
• A sustained contribution towards the removal of all forms of violence and discrimination based on sex.
• Advocating for the implementation and further development of gender mainstreaming in all policy sectors.
• Significant involvement in the oversight and implementation of international agreements and conventions involving the rights of women.